Wednesday, 10 April 2013

How do I Know if it's Better to Buy a Home or Continue Renting?

Perhaps one of the easiest ways to determine if it’s better to buy or rent is to sit down and calculate the financial advantages of owning versus renting. This is commonly done online with a ‘‘rent versus buy’’ calculator found on the Web.

TELL ME MORE
These calculators compare your current or probable rent situation with a projected home ownership number. They’re easy to find. I ran a Google search for the term ‘‘mortgage and calculator’’ and retrieved 6,100,000 websites that had those two terms in combination.

But the kicker is that these calculators rarely will tell you, ‘‘No, it’s not a good idea to buy.’’ That’s because of the tax benefits of home ownership. The interest and property taxes associated with a mortgage are generally tax deductible. You can deduct them from your gross income when you file your taxes. With rent, you can’t.

Yeah, I know. When you’re a renter you don’t pay property taxes or mortgage payments. Instead you give money to someone else for the privilege of living there. But you can’t write off your rent. It’s just that. Rent.


When might a ‘‘rent versus buy’’ calculator suggest it’s better to rent? When you intend to own your next home for only a year or so.

Buying a home incurs other expenses, such as money for the down payment, property taxes, and hazard insurance (which is much higher than a renter’s policy). Many apartment complexes pay your electric bills along with water and other utilities. When you own, you pay all these expenses. Owning a home with all its tax benefits doesn’t outweigh the acquisition costs to buy the home if you’re only going to own it for a short period. Short term, rent.

Longer term, buy. Are your rent payments the same or less than what a mortgage payment would be? Depending upon where you live, they may be the same. Especially if interest rates are relatively low.

Let’s say you’re renting a nice 3,000-square-foot, three-bedroom home close to schools in a friendly neighborhood. You might be paying $1,800 each month in rent. A similar three-bedroom home might cost $150,000. If you put 5 percent down to buy the home, your monthly house payment, including taxes and insurance, would be close to $1,200 using a 30-year fixed rate at 7.00 percent.

If rent payments in the area in which you want to buy are near what a mortgage payment would be, it makes sense to buy. If you can save $600 per month and you also get to write off the mortgage interest and property taxes, then it’s truly a no-brainer.

Another reason buying is generally better than renting is simply a matter of appreciation and equity. When you rent and property values increase, your landlord will probably raise your rent again.

And, of course, each time you make a rent payment you’re not increasing your equity in anything; you’re just helping your landlord increase his stake in your house or apartment. I’ll give you an example.

Your rent is currently $1,000 per month, and you’re thinking about buying a $150,000 home. If you put 20 percent down and borrow $120,000 at 7.00 percent on a 30-year fixed rate, your principal and interest payment are about $800 a month. Let’s also assume that property values are increasing in your area by about 5 percent per year. What’s the situation after two years?

If you rented, you paid someone else $24,000. But if you owned and itemized your federal income taxes, you likely deducted over $16,600 in mortgage interest on your income taxes. You also paid your loan down by over $2,500 while at the same time increasing your equity position in the house by nearly $18,000.

Now you see why those calculators always tell you to buy a home.
Through all of these calculations, remember the real reason for buying: You buy a home because you want to. Because you like the place. It’s your home. A home is one of the largest single financial commitments someone can make. And while I agree with that statement, let’s not go overboard here. Buy a house because you want to, not because some calculator told you so.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got this web page from my buddy who shared with me about this website and
at the moment this time I am visiting this site and
reading very informative content at this time.

Also visit my web-site ... localdate

Anonymous said...

Everything is very open with a precise explanation of the issues.
It was definitely informative. Your site is very helpful. Many thanks
for sharing!

my web site :: help with term paper

Anonymous said...

Hello all, here every one is sharing these kinds of know-how, so it's good to read this webpage, and I used to visit this blog every day.

Feel free to visit my page; directory of real estate resources

Anonymous said...

Hi mates, fastidious article and fastidious urging commented at this place, I am
genuinely enjoying by these.

Here is my weblog: movie chats

Anonymous said...

My partner and I stumbled over here by a different page and thought I should check things out.
I like what I see so now i am following you. Look forward to looking over
your web page yet again.

my website - cheap custom essays

Anonymous said...

Wonderful work! That is the type of information that are supposed
to be shared around the web. Disgrace on the seek engines for no longer positioning this post higher!
Come on over and seek advice from my site .
Thanks =)

Have a look at my site :: real estate directory

Anonymous said...

Hello! Quick question that's totally off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My site looks weird when browsing from my iphone. I'm trying
to find a theme or plugin that might be able to correct this
issue. If you have any recommendations, please share.
Appreciate it!

Here is my web blog; local business locator

Anonymous said...

Hi i am kavin, its my first time to commenting anywhere, when i read this article i thought i could also create comment due to this brilliant article.



Look at my web blog :: Charlotte used computers

Anonymous said...

Genuinely when someone doesn't be aware of after that its up to other users that they will assist, so here it happens.

Look at my weblog; United States real estate directory

Anonymous said...

Appreciate the recommendation. Let me try it out.

Also visit my web page ... white pages local

Anonymous said...

What's up, yeah this piece of writing is truly pleasant and I have learned lot of things from it concerning blogging. thanks.

My blog ... white pages business search

Anonymous said...

Do you have a spam problem on this website; I also am a
blogger, and I was curious about your situation; many of us have created some nice practices and we are looking to exchange methods with other folks, why not shoot me an e-mail if interested.


My site: Charlotte laptop repair

Anonymous said...

fantastic post, very informative. I ponder why the other experts of this sector don't realize this. You should continue your writing. I am confident, you have a huge readers' base already!


Here is my website ... expository essay example

Anonymous said...

Thank you for any other excellent post. Where else may anyone get that type of information in such
a perfect means of writing? I've a presentation next week, and I am at the look for such information.

Here is my page; business pages